Saturday, May 12, 2012

Vapor


There is a common saying here in Honduras: “Si Dios quiere,” which translates to “If God wants.” I have heard this phrase countless times throughout the past year, and have come to deeply appreciate its meaning. Loss is well known to many Hondurans. This country has an understanding of the fragility of life that we Americans often choose to ignore. They understand that life is “but a breath” and can vanish at any moment. And so, when I say, “Ok, see you next week”, they respond with “Si Dios quiere.”

I’ve been thinking a lot about the fragility of life these days. It is a vapor, a mist. It is there one minute, and the next minute it has vanished completely right in front of your face without you even knowing it. Life is tricky that way. It’s so there that you forget one day it won’t be there. The other day, I listened to a sermon, and in that sermon the woman asked, “ What will you do with the ‘vapor’ that you’ve been given?” I’ve asked myself this question countless times…

So here is my goal: to waste my vapor away on His kingdom work. To love strong. To give compassion to all. To fight for the least of these. And to keep seeking His guidance as my vapor dissolves away. And when I fail (because I know that sometimes I will), I will get back up and try again.

As I work alongside the servants at Signs of Love, I see how they are using their “vapors” for God’s kingdom work. I watch as they encourage, teach, love, challenge, empower and embrace those who have been considered “the least of these” for so long. Many of the “least of these” have never been given an opportunity to attend school, have never been given the right to learn sign language, and some have never even been allowed to step outside their homes. They are oppressed. But God has brought the servants at Signs of Love to remind them that they are NOT abandoned, NOT forgotten. These precious Deaf are Loved. Cherished. Adored. And as they realize their worth, they find a hope and a strength that carries them.

Now that is vapor-worthy.

“Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.”   James 4:14

No comments: